Monday, January 27, 2014

Please Welcome Author Audrey Stover

Good morning, Audrey, and welcome to my blog. Please start by telling us something about yourself.

Good morning, Pam. Thank you for having me. I have always been an avid reader. In the early ‘90s while reading a romance novel I said to myself, “I can write a better story than this!” Instead of finishing the book, I picked up the first of many yellow legal pads and put pen to paper. Dozens of yellow pads later II had my first three stories written. Now, that doesn’t mean they ever moved past the hand-written stage, but I always dreamed of being a published author.

In November 2010 I decided to try my hand at writing during NaNoWriMo. My first novel, Coming Home is the result of that endeavor. It took a while to self-publish it because I got lost in the editing process, then my hard drive crashed and the whole book was lost! Thankfully, I had the first draft saved on a website and three years later decided it was once again time to attempt to self-publish. In July 2013 I wrote a second book which is currently in the editing stage.

I live in San Diego with my three teenagers and enjoys being involved in my local church. 

 Please tell me about your novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it?
My novel is titled Coming Home. Not very original, but that is the title that came to me as I was completing it. My inspiration was my mom and NaNoWriMo. In 2010 I found this website that encourages writers to write a novel (50,000 words) in a month. November 1, 2010 I just started writing and 30 days later I had 50,000 words written! It was really an amazing month for me.

What are some of your favorite genres to read and to write?
I love to read Regency romances, but there aren't very many Christian ones out there. I also enjoy Christian historical and contemporary romance, mystery, suspense, and biographies. As for what I write, they say you should right what you know, so I write contemporary Christian romance with an emphasis on having a personal relationship with Jesus.

When you sit down to write, do you do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper or do you use a computer? Do you prefer one way or the other?
I have done both. I have a ton of yellow legal pads filled with stories. I wrote the entirety of Coming Home on my iPad. I actually prefer computer/iPad because it is faster -- when inspiration strikes, I have a hard time keeping up with it! Plus, when using my iPad my writing hand doesn't get as tired as fast.

What has been your favorite part of being an author? What has been your least favorite?
My favorite part is when people read my book and tell me that they liked it! That amazes me! My least favorite is when I sit down to write and two or three hours later I only have a couple hundred words written. Ugh!

Did you get to quit your day job and become an author or do you still have a day job and writing is something you do for fun? If you still have a day job, what is it?
I still have my day job and I definitely write for fun! I get so much enjoyment from writing. I am a lunch lady at an elementary school. I absolutely love it!

What is your favorite junk food vice?
Definitely potato chips, but chocolate and popcorn are right up there. I recently saw a recipe on a potato chip bag to put some chips on a paper plate add a few chocolate chips and zap it in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the chocolate. I am definitely going to have to try that!

What do you listen to when you write? Do you find one type of music over another that inspires you to write? Why?
I like so many genres of music. I think it depends what is going on in my story. I like to listen to Pandora and the two stations I listen to most are 2Cellos and Celine Dion.
Who was your current novel dedicated to? Any particular reason?
I dedicated Coming Home to my mom because she has always been my greatest cheerleader and she has been trying to get me to write and publish a book for almost twenty years now.

What are you currently reading?
I am always reading something, usually more than one thing at a time. I am currently reading A Confident Heart by Renee Swope and An Untamed Land by Lauraine Snelling.
Who are your favorite authors?
Oh my, I have so many favorite authors. Let's see... Dee Henderson, Frank Peretti, Terri Blackstock, Jane Austen, Janette Oke, Joel C. Rosenberg, Grace Livingston Hill... Should I keep going?

Coming Home by Audrey Stover
ISBN-13: 978-1461102168
Publisher: CreateSpace

Purchase the book:
Amazon

Book blurb:

A Christian Romance... Susan and Craig were meant to be together...or were they? Susan always thought so until they were torn apart by "irreconcilable differences". When he shows up out of the blue years later it seems like their differences will continue to play havoc in their lives.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting to learn more about Audrey. I read Coming Home and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't wait for her next book!
    Thanks for sharing her story Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also loved the book! It is refreshing to pick up and read a good story without having to worry about language, sex and violence. I read out loud sometimes to a blind friend and cannot wait to read her this one!
    Enjoy the blog very much and hearing about her process! Looking forward to reading more from Audrey! Keep writing!!

    ReplyDelete