Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Please Welcome Author Teresa Hardister

Good afternoon Teresa. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview with us today. Please tell us a little about yourself.

I am nobody. I have no celebrity status other than possibly being known locally as the one who taped her pants in high school, or the bait shop girl.

I am not wealthy. At times, I'm clueless. I have taken many pages of mental notes and learned on my journey as a mother, friend, daughter, and, ultimately, a human being, that this chaotic world we live in is about the little things. I am Uniquely Nobody.

I began writing at very young age. My love and deep passion for the written word gave me the courage to release my works to the world.

Finding happiness in helping others with my offerings I continue to write daily. I hold a strong belief that we can change the world one word at a time.

I reside in North Carolina with my two sons, my husband, and our dog Winnie. When I am not writing I enjoy all things outdoors, mud, gardening, or just sitting in the swing with a cold drink taking in the atmosphere of rural Southern living.


Please tell me about your novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it? The name of my newest release is The Random Society (Even More Thoughts). I began writing a series of thoughts for the day a few years ago, posting them for friends to read and allowing them to share my words with their friends. It continued to grow and I got so much positive feedback from it, that I took the thoughts and put them in book form. The Random Society (Even More Thoughts) is volume two and I feel like the best so far. I give my readers 52 installments of inspirations and things to ponder, it works out to one a week, so you have a year’s worth of reading in one book. I cover topics such as conquering fear, grief, being positive, and keeping the faith even when you feel you can’t.
When you sit down to write, do you do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper or do you use a computer? Do you prefer one way or the other? I always choose pen and paper, I began writing as a child and that is where I feel most creative and inspired, with a pen in hand and with an empty notebook just waiting to be filled. I can write via the computer but I don’t feel as at home with my words.
What has been your favorite part of being an author? What has been your least favorite? My favorite would have to be receiving an email or meeting someone who tells me that my writing made them think or inspired them, that is such a powerful and incredible feeling, it is also very humbling to know that something you constructed helped someone in their life and gave them a feeling of restored hope. My least favorite by far would be editing. I detest it, and when I am editing it always seems that the creative juices start to kick in and I feel that urgency to start writing instead of the mundane task of editing.

What has been the strangest thing that a reader has asked you? Strangely enough I have been asked by many readers about how to make gravy. I often reference my Southern heritage and the making of sausage gravy and over time I have gotten countless requests from readers wanting to know if I can teach them how. I love that, I think it is so sweet!

Besides writing and reading, what is your most favorite thing to do? I absolutely love to garden and get my hands dirty. I can’t think of anything any more satisfying than digging and turning up the ground and watching the miracle of things growing.

What genre are you most looking forward to exploring during your writing career? Why? I am getting ready to start fiction. I have been writing inspirational works for quite some time now and I have dabbled in fiction through the years, but I am looking forward to giving the world some fiction to read. Why? I would have to say to test myself and push myself to be a well-rounded writer, able to hold to my own in several genres.

Who was your current novel dedicated to? Any particular reason? I find that I get carried away with my dedications very often, this one was special. It was in memory of Mother and a dear friend who passed away, they both gave me the strength to step out with my writing and shine. It is also dedicated to a childhood friend Julie, and my husband Ben who have been there for me so many times and uplifted me and encouraged me to keep writing. I lost my Mom two years ago, and I came very close to never picking up my pen again, Ben and Julie kept pushing me to fight, and that is why this book is so very special, you grieve with me and you also see the transformation of strength as time passes and the light shines brighter in our world. Hopefully giving all renewed faith that there is nothing too big to conquer.
Who are your favorite authors? I tend to lean towards classic works and those favorites are Sara Teasdale, Harper Lee, Twain, Kate Chopin and Ernest Hemingway. My modern day favorites are James Patterson, Nicholas Sparks and Suzanne Collins.

What 7 words would you use to describe yourself- Quirky, upbeat, strong, unique, caring, observant and optimistic.
Is there anything else that you would like to share or say to those who will read this interview? I would have to say, remember that no matter what happens in life, you can reach your dreams, you can overcome any obstacle, you can make gravy and most of all you don’t give up, keep trying. Never give in, hope is right around the corner.

The Random Society by Teresa Hardister
ISBN-13: 978-1491213414
Publisher: CreateSpace
Softcover (212 pages)

Purchase the book:
Amazon

Book blurb:

Welcome back to The Random Society! This is the second book in the series, and this time it is packed with even more wonderful notions and feelings. A place where random thoughts and words are given to enlighten, uplift, and make you think. In the pages of this book you will find a series of topics and emotions that all of us have faced in our lives, some are very serious and some are things that bring simple joy. The Random Society is open to all who wish to seek insight and empowerment. A guide to living in a positive, but quirky way! Please come on in and become a member, everyone is welcome, and in doing so you will be opened up to see the world and all of its wonders in a new light.

Contact the author: Blog | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment