Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Please Welcome Author Christine Meunier

Hello Christine and welcome to my blog. Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview with me. Please tell us a little about yourself.
 
I was introduced to the wonderful world of horses at the late age of 13 when my parents agreed to lease a horse for me. I started experiencing horses via books from a young age and continues to do so, but recognizes that horses cannot be learnt solely from books.

I have been studying horses from age 16, starting with the Certificate II in Horse Studies and is currently undertaking her Bachelor of Equine Science via distance education.

I have worked at numerous thoroughbred studs in Australia as well as overseas in Ireland for a breeding season.

I then gained experience in a couple of Melbourne based horse riding schools, instructing at a basic level before heading off overseas again, this time to South Africa to spend hours in the saddle of endurance and trail horses on the Wild Coast.

Particularly passionate about the world of breeding horses, I teach equine studies focused on breeding, at a TAFE, Victoria, Australia. She also writes a blog about equine education. 



Please tell me about your novel. Who or what was your inspiration behind it?
Horse Country – A World of Horses follows the lives of 4 young women working in the horse industry. Two teach horse riding at their parents metropolitan riding school; the other two work in the thoroughbred breeding industry.

The book was borne of a love of writing and detailing events that have occurred whilst I’ve been working in the horse industry. At 16 I was told horses aren’t a career and I hope that this book helps to teach people about horses and show them that they are indeed a worldwide viable career option!

When you sit down to write, do you do it the old-fashioned way with pen and paper or do you use a computer? Do you prefer one way or the other?
I prefer a computer and utilise a laptop often to write – it is quicker for me! Sometimes it seems that the keyboard can’t keep up with what I have in my head – that is even more so true for my fingers when I’m writing! I’ve been known to jot ideas in a text message to myself or on a piece of paper I can find if a computer isn’t available at the time the ideas come, though!

What do you do when you are not writing? Do you pick up some from you to be read pile?
I love to read and definitely pick up from this large pile. Often I read horse novels and review them online. Other than that I love to research horse careers online (to write about) and play my guitar.

 What do you look for in a book when you sit down to read for fun?
I love a book that is easy to follow, exciting, and entertaining.

What has been your favorite part of being an author? What has been your least favorite?
I just love to write, I think that’s the best bit! Least favourite is being patient whilst people help me to proof my works.

 Did you get to quit your day job and become an author or do you still have a day job and writing is something you do for fun? If you still have a day job, what is it?
I hope it’ll be a future residual income so I can work from home on a property with many horses! Currently I teach horse studies to those who want to gain a qualification and generate a career in the horse industry.

Besides writing and reading, what is your most favorite thing to do?
Singing and guitar; I love music.

We all have our little things when it comes to reading, is there anything that bugs you when you read a novel? What is it?
Grammatical errors, although I must admit to having these at times, too! I love as an independent author that I can go and fix errors as soon as they’re found.

On a typical weekend, what can we find you doing? Who are you with?
Spending it with my husband in the garden, studying and at church.
Who was your current novel dedicated to? Any particular reason?

Neville Murdoch, a previous boss who helped me to learn so much in the world of working with horses. 

Horse Country by Christine Meunier
ISBN 9780987533203
Softcover (492 pages)

Purchase the book:
LuLu

Book blurb:

Follow Lise and Wes as they work their way around North East Victoria, Australia in the seasonal world of breeding thoroughbreds. Horse Country follows the seasons of the Thoroughbred industry and what the day to day of working on a stud could look like. A few hours away, Maddie and Melanie are working hard in their parent's metropolitan riding school, teaching others about horse riding and care of the horse. From the nervous first time rider, to the child who wants to run fast and jump high, the young women shape lessons to suit the individual.

1 comment: